Friday, February 8, 2013

Walk in their shoes

I stood on the sidewalk watching for the slightest peek of them, wondering fearfully if they were ok; my mind developing the most awful of scenarios. At the final moment before I was to give up and go searching for them, there they were on the horizon. Seeing them run towards me with their outstretched arms, I felt the tears well up in my eyes as my heart beat faster and swelled with pride.

This moment, this simple event that's repeated countless times every day, was one that I'd held off for as long as I could... too long if you were to ask them.

My little ones, my babies, walked home from school for their first time. Without me. Without Charles.

JB and BW traversed every step of the one-half mile between our front door and that of their school without the oversight, protection or guidance of 'big-jobbers'. And when they arrived home, they could not contain their pride in this accomplishment.

And so it is that they have proven themselves in their maturity and their abilities. It is one more step towards their independence which is both celebrated and mourned.

At some point in this journey called life, I will no longer be needed as their guardian; the one that has been given the charge of protecting them from the outside world in addition to themselves and the fool ideas they come up with.

Seeing them soar, exceeding their own expectations is miraculous. Sharing their celebration is a blessing, and knowing that Charles and I provided the guidance that enabled them to these accomplishments without claiming their success as our own is the greatest gift that I can give them.

I know that when the time comes that they are ready to leave our home and move on to bigger and greater adventures that it will be challenging for all of us, but it is one that we welcome, because it means that Charles and I have been successful in guiding these two little people into becoming amazing adults.

I look forward to the miles ahead.

I love you mostest bubblie and punkin'pie.






No comments:

Post a Comment