Friday, August 15, 2014

The Scale of things

It was Isaac Newton that said, "What goes up, must come down." To this I add, "Unless, of course, you are talking about my weight."

I can't say that I've lost much, if any, weight, and that would probably frustrate most people by this point of Project Purpose. But how much weight I hold on to or lose is not one of the measures of my success in this journey.

As friends have learned about P2 and what it's about, the most frequently talked about subject is 'The Scale' and the importance of ignoring it or even tossing it out with the trash.

One pal shared that before I'd met her, she'd lost a significant amount of weight. It was her experience that those around her commented more on her lack of progress with comments such as 'you could really stand to lose a few more pounds' rather than celebrating her impressive accomplishment. Over time, the lack of enthusiasm and a sense of defeat led to a loss of the better habits she'd followed and... we all know how that story goes. It's one that I'm familiar with, especially during the college years (Freshman 15 anyone?).

Other friends with similarly chaotic schedules and complex demands both at work and home seem to share the conclusion I've come to - that the reading on the scale is far less important than the benefits of eating right and exercising; a good night's sleep, the energy needed to deal with the standard day-to-day demands, and a greater ability to gracefully accommodate the crisis of the unexpected.

I would not be as secure as I am in my relationship with 'The Scale' if I didn't have my House of Chaos partner by my side on this journey and in life. His faith, love, and genuine acceptance of who I am allows me the comfort and ability to take the reading of the scale in stride. This week we celebrate our 21st wedding anniversary, and this project is one way in which our relationship continues to grow and inspire me.

I'll admit that I weigh myself each morning, as it is one of the measures that the app we are using to track our progress, 'My Fitness Pal', uses to gauge how we are doing. On those days when the scale says that I've lost a bit I'll admit that my step is a little lighter... But it's not by weight alone that our success is determined. Getting up in the morning ready to face the day with vigor is.

I feel better now than I have in a long time and I genuinely enjoy going to the gym and watching the minutes pass and the miles of 'pavement' pounded grow. That to me is a greater definition of success than anything the 'The Scale' can share.



No comments:

Post a Comment