Friday, October 9, 2015

Diagnosis: ADHD

I've pretty much come to terms that I have ADHD. It explains devotion to Diet Coke and the never ending cups of coffee I've always had at hand.

After seeking information that could help me with the boy, it came to light during a counseling session that there was nothing wrong with him, he just had ADHD.

With a name in hand that I could work with, I read every word I could find. A lot of it was tin-hat science, but there was one book in particular that Charles handed to me and as I took it, said 'You have to take the test.'

Whatever.

But I did take it, and the test, and I recognized a lot of myself in the follow-up chapters. I recognized the boy as well... and the girl.

We often give her a hard time about having ADHD as well, but for her it isn't as much of a distraction as it is a way of exploring her creativity.

Now hormones are involved as she creeps ever closer to that state we call "puberty, oh shit."

What fresh hell are we in for?  Guess we get to find out.

Wish me luck. Wish us all luck. We may need it.






No comments:

Post a Comment