Sunday, July 3, 2011

Something to Talk About


A week or so after JB's sixth birthday, I was sitting on the couch putting together a packing list for a trip we were taking to the east coast for a visit with relatives when she quietly and seriously approached me, with a very serious expression on her face and acting somewhat nervous.

"Mama, I have something that I need to talk with you about. But. It might hurt your feelings...so I don't know what to do."

"Well, if you have something you need to share, it would hurt my feelings more if you felt you COULDN'T share it with me. What ever you need to say, even if it hurts me a little, we'll both feel better after we chat about it. Ok?"

With even greater seriousness and trepidation, she sat down on the couch with her hands in her lap and her body slightly turned towards me as she took in a deep breath looked into my eyes and sighed before speaking.

"It's just. Well. I'm ... It's about the birthday present that you got me. Really, I'm happy that you got summer jamajamas for me, and they are really comfortable. ... *sigh*"

"Yes, I'm glad you like them, but what is the matter?"

"Well... ItsjustthattheyareprincessjammiesandIDON'Tlike princesses! I'm a lady, NOT a princess mama!"

And with that she flopped back onto the couch and released a deep sigh of relief.

What am I in for when she wants to talk with me about boys?




No comments:

Post a Comment