Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Brushing Teeth

It’s been one of those chaotic weeks… well, series of weeks. Colorado State has been in session for only six of them - yet it feels as though we should be nearing the home stretch it’s been so busy.

After blogging about my first episode of dreading going to the gym, I realized why I had that sensation - and spent the next three days RICEing my heel and missing my routine at the gym.

Without realizing it I’d developed an acute case of bursitis on my right heel, making it difficult to workout or even walk. It seems that my achilles tendon was not in the mood to ‘play nice’, and I was forced to take some time off to let it heal.

It was also a good opportunity to realize how much my gym time has come to mean to me. I look forward to the opportunity to release the stress built up during the day and be able to venture home ready and able to enjoy parenting.

As a rule, for every three days that I go to the gym, I have a ‘free’ day to allow my body to recover and regrow. After one such day off, thebOy asked sweetly “Mama, are you going to the gym today?”  And he expressed happiness at the news that I was indeed going to ‘work-IT-out’.

Without my workout, my ability to overlook the natural bickering and loudness of our elementary school aged kids is greatly reduced and the mood of our home reflects it.

After three days of rest, ice & ibuprofen, compressing and elevating my heel I was finally able to return the gym and start  again - only in a lower capacity so that I didn’t extend the time needed to recover.

I’m about 90% healed now, but I’m back to my schedule and routines - and I’m loving every moment of it. For real. (It surprises me too!)

It’s hard to believe that we are half-way thru this journey. In eleven weeks we have accomplished so much - I’m stronger and more nimble. I’m able to move without pain (save for my heel), and I feel healthier than I have in many years. Karl has surpassed his goal of running a half-marathon and is now setting his sights on a full one.

The addition of the time needed to visit the gym and work out or meet with Michelle forced me to realize and admit that I cannot fit everything into my daily or even my overall schedule. For many years now, I’ve squeezed in so many opportunities and obligations that I am overextended. I’ve had to inventory and assess each one and decide how well it now works within the boundaries of my P2.

I’ve given up some of the activities that I’ve found joy and satisfaction in, and there are more to be left behind - so that I am able to continue going to the gym, to continue moving, and to force semi-retired muscles back into shape, allowing me to join in with Karl, Caleb & Meghan when they want to go for a hike, a bike ride or a rafting trip. (I’m putting my foot down at zip lining - Mama doesn’t do heights!)

Finding time to regain my health has been among the greatest of challenges I’ve had to face, but as Karl commented “It’s like brushing your teeth; it’s just one of those things that you have to do.”

Yes, indeed.



No comments:

Post a Comment