Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Good Fortune

Here at Camp Chaos, aka the House of Chaos, we have a new member to add to the occupancy list.

It was there, last night after everyone was tucked in and the sound of light snoring was heard coming from each bedroom... softly at first, and then with each passing minute it grew louder...

T'was the sound of a  lone cricket singing his little fool heart out.

And, true to cricket form - the bugger refused to come out of hiding.

At 11:00pm it was cute, kind of quaint, and charming even. One of the season's last hold-outs reminding us of the summer that passed us by.

At 1:00am it was tedious. I haven't had more than 5 hours of sleep in the last 4 days and would really like to dish into bed and get some sleeps.

When 4:30 rolled around, I was ready to peel up the tile - and squish that bug. But alas, I was unable to find it.  Little dog was no help either even though he was the one that brought it in to play with and thebOy joined in gleefully - both were deep into their dreamlands and refused to wake.

As the sun came up cricket went to sleeps, and with it my last ounce of 'giveadangd'.

Boy said that he was happy. "Crickets are a sign of good luck, Mama!" ("Who's?" I can't help but wonder, now on day 5 of little sleep.)

After breakfast was served we all went about our ways. Now that it's nearly time for a quick nap before chaos returns home after school, my little field cricket friend is back at work and singing for his soul-mate.

If you need me, I'll be outside in the hammock alongside the other crickets who are still sleeping in the warmth of the sun.

I'm sure little dog will be looking for them, of course.




No comments:

Post a Comment