Sunday, June 6, 2010

Daffodils and Dandelions

For most, April 15th is a dreaded day, since that is the day that tax returns and potential payments to the IRS are due. For me, Charles, BW, JB, my siblings, their families and my parents this day, this year forward has a far more heart shattering meaning.

It was on the 15th of April, 2010 that my baby sister, who was three weeks from turning thirty, suddenly and unexpectedly passed away from a bi-lateral pulmonary embolism. It resulted from a series of blood clots which had broken free from a larger one in her lower left leg. She survived a necessary surgery to remove a non-malignant brain tumor located on her brainstem, and was doing impressively well with her therapy, so much so that the Doctors and other staff members were talking about releasing her early.

Sadly, though. That was not to be. Instead of congratulating her on her gumption, Charles and I were on a plane, flying to Boston to close out her apartment, sort through her belongings and bring her home, one last time.

I've survived many, many trials, and a few other tragedies. They have all turned out for the best, and from each period of strife I've learned an important lesson or received some survival skill that has proven to be useful and as a stepping off point for the next phase of life...

I'm not sure where this journey is going to take me, but I know it's going to be awhile before I get there.



No comments:

Post a Comment