Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Green Things Grow, Dead Things Don't


When people walk by the house, I often hear the compliment that I have a green thumb - and with the mixture of flowers that are blooming, the plants that are growing, someone might get that impression.

But I know better. I... I...

I have an addiction. I love plants! When at the grocery store or garden center if I see the cart of near dead plants that are on sale, or if it's the end of year perennial plant sell off - I can't resist nosing through them. Charles asks half joking, what am I going to kill now. It's the truth though. I kill plants. I kill LOTS of plants, and I'm really really good at it. But it's not as though I enjoy killing them... I'm just good at it. It's keeping them alive that is the challenge my friends.

Over the years, after snuffing out hundreds (I'm almost certain that at this point it's thousands) of plants and getting a bachelor of science in the subject, I've learned a few tricks that make it appear that I know what I'm doing, and hopefully it's benefited those who have the gumption to try and an eagerness to learn.

The secret to being a green thumb is quite simple. If something doesn't work, don't hesitate to try again. And, of you know someone who has a knack for keeping plants alive, ask them how they do it. Most gardeners are more than happy to share the wealth of information they've picked up over the years. I am. I love to share really, and I love finding out that an answer is helpful.

I'm almost certain that I've killed my share of plants, enough really, to be able to answer many of the questions you may have. I'm not afraid to say that I don't have an answer, but I'll do the research to see if I can find one for you...



No comments:

Post a Comment